Corn has made remarkable yield gains, especially as compared to other common crops. We first discuss teosinte and the origins of corn and then describe how Native Americans developed various types of corn prior to the arrival of Columbus. We introduce how the process of corn hybridization was discovered. “Corn Breeding” goes on to describe the steps in corn breeding today, including traditional breeding, molecular marker-assisted selection, and transgenic techniques. Click on images below to access modules.
Other helpful links
- Corn Production: Hybrid Selection and Genetics – University of Minnesota Extension
- Corn Production: Hybrid Selection and Genetics – Iowa State University
- Corn Breeding: Lessons from the Past – University of Nebraska
- Developing a Superior Maize Hybrid – Pioneer Hi-Bred International Inc.
- Biotechnology Provides New Tools for Plant Breeding – University of California
- The Evolution of Corn – University of Utah